Authentic martial arts instruction taught by expert, certified instructors - if you are new to the arts, we'll show you the ropes, teach you the fundamentals and progressively introduce you to the intricate beauty of the martial arts;
Guro Kade's Story;
Kade Marsh is the Founder and Chief Instructor of the Mettle Martial Arts Academy. Although Kade has always been a fan of Bruce Lee and the whole Kung Fu Cinema genre, Kade only started training in the arts in 2000 after a violent and unprovoked assault left him with a broken jaw and a bruised ego. But Kade holds no regrets about the incident - as it was the catalyst that introduced him to meet Guro Nino Pilla and in turn, so many other martial artists, mentors, training partners and lifelong friends.
Today, Kade has trained across multiple empty hand and weapons based arts including: Jun Fan Gung Fu; Jeet Kune Do (JKD); Muay Thai / Thai Boxing; Filipino Kali/Eskrima/Silat; Panantukan; Maphilindo Silat; Majapahit Martial Arts; Kickboxing; Bokator (Khmer Kickboxing); Muay Baron; Krabi Krabong; Tae Kwon Do; Hapkido; Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), Combat Submission Wrestling (CSW) and many more…
Kade holds Instructor ranks under Sifu Nino Pilla, Tuhan Dan Inosanto, Ajarn Surachai 'Chai' Sirisute and SiSuk Larry Hartsell (d).
- 10th Grade Black Belt (Instructor) with the Nino Pilla International Academy of Martial Arts (NPIAMA), under Sifu/Guro/Ajarn Nino Pilla, Adelaide, South Australia;
- Member of the Inosanto International Martial Arts Instructors Association under Guro Dan Inosanto (Bruce Lee’s friend, training partner and senior instructor).
- Lakan Guro (Apprentice Instructor) in the Filipino Martial Arts under Tuhan Dan Inosanto, Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts, Marina Del Rey, CA USA;
- Apprentice Instructor in Jun Fan Gung Fu / Jeet Kune Do (JKD) under Sifu Dan Inosanto, Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts, Marina Del Rey, CA USA;
- Khun Kru (Apprentice Muay Thai Instructor) with the World Thai Boxing Association under Ajarn Surachai ‘Chai’ Sirisute, Carson, CA USA;
- Associate Instructor (Level 2) with the Jun Fan JKD Grappling Association (USA) under Sifu Larry Hartsell, Marina Del Rey, CA USA.
Kade has also had the privilege of training under many other respected instructors including: Sensei Erik Paulson; Professor Jean Jacques Machado; Sifu Francis Fong; Simo Valencia ‘Cookie’ Vassiliou; Sensei Benny ‘The Jet’ Urquidez; Sensei Yorinaga Yakamura, Coach Kathy Long, Sibak Richard Bustillo (d), Sifu/Dr Mark Cheng, SiHing Gianfranco Russo, Kancho Anthony Hockley and Supreme Grand Master Cacoy Cañete (d) amongst others.
Sifu Kade teaches group classes, private lessons, self defence courses, public seminars, primary and high school groups and has been involved with numerous demonstrations and stunt performances for live shows, TV and Film, passionately sharing his experiences and training with the next generation of martial arts students.
Professor João's Story;
João Ruffo heads the Mettle Academy's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) program. Originally from the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, João is passionate about sharing his love for the art of BJJ. An experienced and enthusiastic grappler who has been practicing the art since he was 16 years old., João is currently a 4th degree Brown belt athlete from Team Gracie Barra.
Before his arrival in Australia, Professor João had a successful competitive career in BJJ in his home country, winning multiple championships including: the Brazilian Open; Copa Helio Gracie; Copa Conde Koma; the Rio Open; the Curitiba Open; the Rio Challenge; and Copa Cyclone. Professor João teaches children and adult classes and private lessons and is brings a unique perspective to the Mettle Academy's already extensive martial arts and self defence curricula.
- 4th Degree Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from Professor Guilherme Lunes from Gracie Barra Recreio
- Member of the Association of Confederação Brasileira de Jiu-Jitsu (CBJJ) and International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF)
- Current First Aid Certification
Professor João has also had the privilege of training with many other highly respected instructors including Gracie-Barra Founder Master Carlos Gracie Jnr, Multi-time World Jiu-Jitsu and ADCC Champion Master Marcelo Feitosa, World Champion, UFC veteran and Hall of Famer, Master Alexandre Café and Pan American, Brazilian and European Champion Master Marcelo Yogui.
Professor João is currently teaching classes and private lessons at the Mettle Academy in Unley.